Sunday, October 26, 2008

Miscommunication

This past summer I worked construction in Greenville. It was a lot of hard work, but overall a good experience. I had several times at this job where miscommunication was an issue. The main reason for this miscommunication was because I was working with many Hispanics, few of which spoke English. Back in high school I took several Spanish classes, so understood some Spanish. However, several times one of the guys would try to tell me to do something and I was unable to follow what they were saying. One of the main things that was miscommunicated was when one of the workers was trying to tell me how to tie rebar to make a footing for a building, and I did not do it correctly. We had to then untie and retie it to make it meet regulation. I suppose miscommunication could have been prevented if I had taken the time to further inquire if I was doing it right, or maybe if I knew just a little more Spanish. Overall, I learned to inquire further if I did not fully understand something. I have since done so, and really have not had an issue with miscommunication since then.

No comments: