Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cover Letters

I found these articles to be pretty beneficial to writing a cover letter. I really liked how it explained that one should 'sell the benefits' rather than your 'features'. I previously thought that the best thing to do was talk about your accomplishments, but now I have a better understanding that you should tell the company about how you will benefit the company and that it is more likely that they will show interest. I also liked the part that talked about follow up contacts. Also I'm glad to know references are not important initially. I have always tried find references before applying for a job, but now my main focus will be on selling my attributes.

I found the postscript section to be most beneficial and a technique I will likely employ in future job searches. A hand-written P.S. definitely adds a personal touch.

No comments: