Sunday, September 14, 2008

Interview Skills

Mastering the Interview

In this article it gave that the main things to remember is the 3 P's. Preparation, presentation, and perception. It seems obvious that one should prepare for interviews and practice answering questions, and that they should dress appropriately for their job. These were some of the things I already knew from previous experience and other sources. However, the thing I found most useful was the responding to a question with a question and how this way you can not 'waste time' and seem more credible. I have experienced several times where I have had to come up with an answer and it was embarrassing. But now I realize that I can question the interviewer and that way buy some more time and have a better understanding of what they are asking me.

An Interview Strategy: Telling Stories

This article discusses some of the methods of competency-based interviews where the employer is looking at your accomplishments and real-life situations that will give them a better understanding of how you will be and asset to the company. I have gone into a few interviews and had a story or two for different situations, but I always feel like at some point I have to repeat the stories or do not have one appropriate for a specific situation. This article has taught me to come up with some good stories that would show the interviewer some of my skills in the work place and how I could be a beneficial asset to the company.

No comments: